Friday, July 24, 2009

Fabulous five for Mark Cavendish


His green jersey party in Paris may be spoilt but don't tell Mark Cavendish he can't have any more cake at this year's Tour de France, winning his fifth stage in Aubenas this afternoon. After several days of soul-searching in the mountains, the Columbia-HTC train was back in action to deliver its fast man to the line.

And the brash Brit delivered reward for his team's toil, sending out a clear signal that his victorious run isn't over yet with an immaculate sprint from a long way out to raise his arms in triumph ahead of maillot vert rival Thor Hushovd and former teammate Gerald Ciolek.

"That will go down as the most memorable win of my career," said Cavendish. "It wasn't a stage for me but I said to the guys just wait for me on the climb... I just hung in there, hung in there, hung in there. With 300 or 250 [metres] to go it was too far for me to go but I had to."

No comments: