Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tirreno-Adriatico: Cavendish wins final stage


Mark Cavendish won the final stage of the Tirreno-Adriatico Tuesday in San Benedetto del Tronto in a bunch sprint over Tyler Farrar (Garmin-Slipstream) and Baden Cooke (Vacansoleil).

The 169-kilometre stage was the Briton's fifth win of the season and bodes well for the Milano-Sanremo one-day classic in four days.

"The other day I thought it would be my day, but I was beaten on the line," said Cavendish. "I had a point to prove today. My team kept the break's gap small and then I had the perfect lead out."

Michele Scarponi (Diquigiovanni-Androni) held on to his gap over Stefano Garzelli (Acqua & Sapone-Caffè Mokambo) to win the race's overall classification. The Italian from Jesi took over the lead yesterday when he won the mountain stage to Camerino.

"I hoped I could pull this off at the start of the race," said Scarponi. "I did a great time trial and had a great stage win yesterday that put me in place for the overall win. I am finally past all the troubles; a lot of thanks to the team and everyone else."

Garzelli, second to Scarponi in yesterday's Camerino stage, finished 25 seconds back in the overall.

"It is a great result to get on the podium, even if leaves a little bit of a bitter taste in my mouth," he said.

For full results, report and photos, visit Cyclingnews.com.

STAGE 7 RESULTS
1 Mark Cavendish (GBr|Columbia-Highroad)
2 Tyler Farrar (USA|Garmin-Slipstream)
3 Baden Cooke (Aus|Vacansoleil)
4 Daniele Bennati (Ita|Liquigas)
5 Yauheni Hutarovich (Blr|Française des Jeux)

Final general classification

1 Michele Scarponi (Ita|Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni-Androni Giocattoli
2 Stefano Garzelli (Ita|Acqua & Sapone-Caffè Mokambo)
3 Andreas Klöden (Ger|Astana)
4 Thomas Lövkvist (Swe|Columbia-Highroad)
5 Ivan Basso (Ita|Liquigas)

No comments: