Friday, July 20, 2007

Alberto Contador's Daily Stage Report


Alberto hung with the favorites in today's race into Marseille. Both Mother Nature and the peloton put on the heat as high temperatures, wind, and power riding at rapid tempos defined the day.

South African Robbie Hunter took the sprint win. In doing so, he became the first citizen of Africa to win a stage at the Tour de France.

Contador clocked in with Hunter's time. He looks fantastic in the white young rider jersey!

Alberto's Results

Stage 11 29th s.t.
Young rider 8th s.t.

GC 5th 3:08
Young rider 1st

Alberto had a few reflections on Stage 9 over the Galibier.

"We pushed really hard today. Popovych, my teammate worked very hard for me. In the end the group caught up, but all in all it was a good day for us"

In reference to the stiff headwind and the puncture that handicapped him on the slopes, he said "The conditions weren't ideal. I managed to save time instead of gaining time and obviously there's still a long way to go."

Contador has never voiced any aspirations for the maillot jaune this year, but still, people will ask. "I don't want to think about the maillot jaune, because I don't want to be disappointed...I just want to focus on the white jersey, because I came here to get experience. It's a shame I haven't been able to beat the favorites, but there's still a week left."

No comments: