Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Chris Lieto Talks About His Latest Victory


It felt great to be out racing again. It has been a little while since my last triathlon, and I truly missed being out there. The past month or so I have been focusing on training and with that was some bike racing. I have felt that my training has been going well and that I have been getting faster.

So racing this weekend at the San Jose International Triathlon was a great test as I prepare for a couple half Ironmans, starting with Vineman Ironman 70.3 in a couple weeks. The week leading up to this race was a big block of training with a lot of running and riding a solid 4 hour ride the day before. Well, needless to say my legs were not feeling that great out there on the bike, but my fitness has been going so well that I could muscle through it. I still had a great 40k bike leg, riding it in 52 minutes. I had a comfortable lead coming off the bike that I could relax in the run and pace myself.

I won the race with a time of 1:47, and got to enjoy the finishing stretch with my son Kaiden. It was a great day that proved to me that my training is on track and I am doing the right things leading up to Vineman and ultimately the Ironman World Championship in October. Lance Watson, my coach, has done a great job balancing my schedule and giving me what I need to improve in all 3 disciplines.

I have been lucky to have great people and companies supporting me. With out them I couldn’t enjoy what I do and be able to excel the way I have. Astavita has been a solid part of my triathlon for the last 2 years as well as Trek. And I am very excited to have K-Swiss and Earth fx come on board and become a part of the family. Watch for some incredible things coming from K-Swiss in the near future. I am very excited for the rest of the year and look forward to the next one.

Thanks for all your support. Chris

No comments: